Five Rivers MetroParks will host two of Dayton’s favorite cultural festivals this August and September!
Dayton African American Cultural Festival
The Dayton African American Cultural Festival will begin on Saturday, Aug. 19, at Island MetroPark, 101 E Helena St., Dayton. From noon to 8 p.m., visitors can enjoy family-friendly activities, vendors, food, entertainment and live music, all of which celebrates the richness of the African American experience. The following day, all are invited to return for Gospel Explosion from noon to 6 p.m. Enjoy a series of lectures, church service and gospel entertainment.
Puerto Rican, American and Carribean Organization’s Hispanic Heritage Festival
Summer at RiverScape MetroPark – 237 E. Monument Ave., Dayton – culminates with Puerto Rican, American and Caribbean Organization’s Hispanic Heritage Festival on Saturday, Sept. 16, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Festivalgoers can enjoy live Latin music, children’s activities, food, vendors and more.
Both festivals are free and for those of all ages.
Five Rivers MetroParks continues to offer live music during the Summer Music Series – sponsored by Enterprise Roofing – at RiverScape MetroPark, with a special First Friday offering featuring salsa music and a dance lesson. Dates are:
- Friday, Aug. 4, from 6 to 9 p.m.: Dayton Salsa Project (salsa lessons by Chevere LF Dance Studio)
- Thursday, Aug. 10, from 7 to 9 p.m.: Retrobution
- Thursday, Aug. 17, from 7 to 9 p.m.: LYD (Live Your Dream)
- Thursday, Aug. 24, from 7 to 9 p.m.: The Kim Kelly Orchestra featuring vocalist Felita LaRock
Thursday Happy Hour at RiverScape MetroPark will continue each Thursday, from 5 to 7 p.m. Offerings include beer, hard seltzers and other beverages.
Because RiverScape MetroPark is included in the Downtown Dayton Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (DORA) footprint, people walking in the downtown area are welcome to visit the park with their beverages within the DORA boundary. Learn more about DORA and participating businesses – including RiverScape MetroPark – at www.downtowndayton.org/dora.
Kayak rentals hosted by Taiter’s Kayak Solutions continue in August and are available on Tuesdays (2 to 6 p.m.), Thursdays (4 to 8 p.m.) and during select special events through September (weather dependent).
Participants launch next to the Riverside Bridge along the Great Miami Recreation Trail with the option to paddle through the Five Rivers Fountain of Lights. Life jackets are provided and required, and a waiver must be signed. Rentals start at $12/person and are suitable for beginner kayakers.
Most free fitness offerings at RiverScape wind down after August, with limited offerings in September and October. Visit metroparks.org/riverscape for October fitness offerings. Classes include Fitness in the Park’s yoga and Zumba classes, which are presented by Kettering Health Network with additional support from McGohan Brabender. August and September’s fitness schedule is:
- Zumba in the Park with Fit N Fruitful Wellness: Saturday, Aug. 26, from 10 to 11 a.m.
- Yoga in the Park with Speakeasy Yoga: Saturday, Aug. 5 and Saturday, Aug. 19, from 10 to 11 a.m.
- Bootcamp with The Unit: Most Mondays and Wednesdays, from 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- BootyMix Fitness: Mondays, from 6 to 7 p.m. through the end of August
- Tai Chi & Qigong at the River with Immortal Tree Qigong: Tuesdays, from 6 to 7 p.m. through Sept. 12.
- SWERK with MVP Dance Fit: Most Wednesdays, from 6 to 7 p.m.
- INNERGIZE with Kelly Gibson: Wednesday, Sept. 13