“What are we going to do today?” whines one. “I’m bored!” cries another. Soon a chorus of complaints fill the air. The bubble of bliss has popped, and they won’t stop until a solution has been found. It’s hard to balance daily entertainment with a reasonable budget, but Southwest Ohio Parent has you covered:
The list below opens up many possibilities for fun activities for $5 or less around Dayton!
1. Fly on over to National Museum of US Air Force! Free.
2. Take in the fresh air on one of Daytons’ hiking trails. Some parks require small entry fees but most are free!
3. Use your weekend to experience the Dayton Art Institute. Kids 7-17 $5, 6 and under free!
4. Stop by Kleather’s Pumpkin Patch and find the perfect pumpkin in your price range. Free admission and pumpkins are priced by the lbs.
5. Enjoy a movie and dinner at Dixie Drive-In. $5 for ages 5-12
6. Take a step back in time at the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park with the authentic and interactive exhibits! Free.
7. In the spirit of true outdoor adventure, swap the standard swing-and-slide playground for a nature playscape. Free.
8. Ramble through the urban forest at Hills & Dales MetroPark! Free.
9. Tour the Woodland Cemetery and Arboretum for fascinating finds. Free.
10. Visit Grant Park and Owlexander’s Hoot Route & Nature Nook. Free.
11. Stroll around at the PNC 2nd Street Market during the Saturday Farmer’s Markets. Free.
12. Never miss a free event with our new Free Events calendar!
13. Become a true farmer at Possum Creek MetroPark, which is stocked with farmhouses full of animals! Free.
14. Join the fun at Learning Tree Farm’s for $5.00 admission per person with children under 2 free.
15. Build or explore at one of the themed gardens in the Children’s Discovery Garden. Free.
16. Try one of the Indoor Playgrounds on a rainy day.
17. Go mini-golfing on a budget with weekly special deals offered at The Trails Miniature Golf.
18. Be part of the KidX Club at The Mall at Fairfield Commons and take in FREE monthly family events.
19. Don’t break the bank taking the family out to eat, see where Kids Eat Free!
20. See which parks are offering Free Entry Days.
21. Visit your local library for storytimes.
22. Experience entertainment in a whole new dimension at the 4-D Motions Theaters! $5 per ride/movie.
23. Climb to the tree tower at Cox Arboretum. Free.
24. Although possibly a little far, check out these Worth the Drive Playgrounds.
25. Sign up for Kids Bowl Free.
26. Find out who is giving Birthday Freebies on your special day!
27. Swim, climb, and play at the Vandalia Rec Center! $5 admission.
28. Visit the awesome Gravity Rail at Beavercreek Park.
29. Have a picnic in one of these worthy spots. Free.
30. Fish at the Englewood MetroPark! Free.
31. If you are looking to splurge without breaking the budget, head over to Day Air Ballpark for a minor league baseball game. Although tickets are $9, you will feel like you are at a MLB game for a fraction of the price!
32. Pick apples at Peifer Orchards. $2 per person for admission and apples are $1.99 per lbs.
33. Although $8 for admission, Carillon Historical Park will keep the kids busy for hours.
34. Let your imagination run wild at the Dayton Metro Library.
35. Burn away energy at the Magic Castle Soft Play! $5.95 admission.
36. For your car enthusiasts, zoom into America’s Packard Museum! Adults are $6 (so close). Students are Free!
37. Bolt through the Laser Web Lazer Maze! $2 per game.
38. Jump for joy at the Englewood Fun Center! $5 per 30 minutes.
39. Bring the whole family to Young’s Jersey Dairy on weekday nights for special deals on activities!
40. Find your way through the Bell’s Children Maze at the Cox Arboretum! Free.
41. Monkey around at the Fairborn Community Park playground! Free.
42. Enjoy the indoors at Washington Township Recreation Center and try the indoor climbing wall and or indoor pool! $5 for youth non residents, $2.50 for youth residents
43. Print off coupons here to get free skating admission at Orbit Fun Center! $3 skate rental.
44. Trot with your tot on Saturdays at Carriage Hill Metro Park! $4 per ride.
45. Find fun and free events weekly at the library! Free.
46. Spend the day at Fraze Pavillion for free events and exhibits!
47. Become a prince or a princess at the Loveland Castle! $5 admission, kids 5 and Under are free.
48. Pick what is ripe at Berryhill Farm! $2.95 per pound.
49. Video Arcade & Games (varies from 25 cents to $5) at at XD- Max.
50. Take a stroll through the historic Oregon District. Free.
Make sure to also check out 50 Fun Activities for $5 or less in Cincinnati!